Did You Know Vacant Property Owners Will Be Fined?

The owner of a vacant structure must register the property with Buildings, Safety, Engineering and Environment Department within 30 days of the structure becoming vacant. Owner will receive a certificate of registration and must get a Certificate of Compliance from the Department. Call 313-628-2451 to have your property registered;  or access the City of Detroit website http://www.detroitmi.gov/DepartmentsandAgencies/BuildingsSafetyEngineeringEnvironmental/Divisions/PropertyMaintenance.aspx. The form can be emailed, mailed or faxed to you. Click here to see the fee schedule, applications, and Vacant Property Toolbox. The ordinance’s penalties double from the first to second ticket written. The Property Maintenance Division will send any overdue amount in tickets to a collection agency, which adversely affects the owner’s credit report. Detroit ordinances and zoning code are available on line www.municode.com . On the website, select by state and then city to access the code.

Submit a complaint if a house or building next to you is not being maintained. Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department Coleman A. Young Municipal Center 2 Woodward Avenue, Room 412 Attention: Property Maintenance Division Detroit, MI 48226 (313) 628-2451. The fines can be increased with City Council approval. The City Council representative for the Bagley Community (District 2) is George Cushingberry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *